Saturday, February 26, 2011

Children and nightmares and classes OH MY!



So I just realized my last two posts were about how things in Japan tried to kill me. So for a bit of a change, lets talk about how people in Japan are trying to kill me.

As you all should know, I have been working at Bunchkins recently. Up until last week, I only worked with the preschoolers. Last week though, I taught two classes of older kids. My Wednesday night class was with Yuha, and Miu. They are sweet, third grade girls, who are silent. Seriously, we spent an hour long class, with me talking, them doing the work I gave them, and only speaking to me when I asked a direct question. I was worried I had done something wrong. Aren't children supposed to be loud? Aren't they supposed to talk with each other, and with me? Am I just a horrible teacher? Or maybe it's just those girls are very quiet. The class went very well, and the girls were very nice. They did their work, understood what I was trying to teach, and thanked me at the end of class. I was still a little worried, but mostly I felt like I had done a good job.

My next class was Thursday night, from 4-6. This was a class of eight, with six boys and two girls. Yuha was in this class too, and I found myself looking forward to it. Kenta, my host brother, was also in this class, so I was less nervous then before. I did a short self-teach on my family, and had them looking at family photos. They guessed which one of my sisters was the oldest, and how old she was. *Maeda, I'm sorry but none of them chose you at first. When I finally told them it was you, and they guessed your age, they guessed you were 23.* It was a good way to break the ice, and soon we went on to talk about the book they were reading. I expected the boys to be rowdy, but they were all very quiet too. I made it through the two hour class and felt pretty good about it, although I have to say it still worried me how quiet they were.

When I got home that night, I wanted to get lots of sleep, because I was working with the preschoolers the next morning, and I knew they would wear me out. Unfortunately, my subconcious was not on board with me sleeping through the night, because at about 4 am, I woke up from a horrific nightmare. The nightmare included Selena Gomez, Junhyung, *one of the boys from a k-pop band I'm in love with* and a demonic fire-lady *who looked like the girl from the ring* who wanted to kill everyone. With fire. I was, of course, terrified. In my panicked state, I somehow managed to convince myself that if I just stayed curled up in my fear burrito of blankets, The fire-lady, who had somehow gotten into my room, wouldn't kill me. I literally sat shaking underneath the covers for half an hour before I managed to get the courage to snake my hand out and grab my computer. I finally got back to sleep around 6 am.

That morning I went into Bunchkins at around 9 am, to clean up from the night before, and get ready for the day. I was exhausted, and running on about 4 hours of sleep, and one cup of coffee. I was so tired, I could feel myself think. The morning was pretty uneventful, the kids came, we played around a little, all in all a good time. Then lunchtime came. Cocomu, my favorite little girl, didn't want to finish her lunch. She had been quiet and sleepy all day, and she said she was too tired to finish. That didn't mean she was too tired to eat her dessert. When I told her she couldn't, she burst into tears, and broke my heart. One of the other teachers took her aside to calm her down, and once again I was her best friend. Coco sat on my lap while I was kneeling for a good 15-20 minutes, effectively cutting off all blood flow to the lower half of my body, and making it impossible for me to walk. It was a good day.

At about 2:30, I started back towards the train station to catch my bus home. I was walking along, bobbing my head in time with the music coming from my NEW IPOD!! *I'm a little excited* I noticed people were kind of looking at me weird, but I decided to ignore it. I've gotten used to the looks, because not only am I a gaijin, (foreigner) I am also amazingly cute. It was beautiful out, and the 30 minute walk was just what I needed. I caught the bus, and got home by 4. It was a good day.

I hope to hear from ya'll soon!
Rainbows&&Kittens!

2 comments:

  1. You should have gotten on Skype and I would have made you seem stupid for your fear then you would have gotten back to sleep. AND WHAT KIND OF IPOD IS IT?? And I think I'm getting Jackson to pick up your cds tomorrow. So I don't have to drive out there. AAANNNNDDD I like the pictures you put up so we could have a visoul of what happened. AND I KNOW I DIDN'T SPELL IT RIGHT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the nightmare needed pictures. I also felt that Jun Hyung and Beast needed all the advertising they could get. So I picked an awesome picture of him. :D It's an ipod nano, blue. I named her Momoka. <3

    ReplyDelete